"There is a purpose for everything under heaven"
- It just takes one flea bite to trigger this miserable reaction in a pet allergic to fleas
- After injecting its saliva and introducing allergic proteins into your pets blood stream-the flea jumps off your dog--just like mosquitoes or bees do- once they've caused the allergic reaction.
- Many pets in Southern California have allergies, and in addition to being allergic to all sorts of things in their environment they are allergic to to flea saliva, developing itching and rashes lasting several weeks from a single flea bite. This is the reason we usually don't even see the culprit on the pet.
- the image is courtey of Google image search engine. Beachvethospital does not claim any copyrights.
If your pet has FAD, I recommend scheduling a consultation. The intense itching causes skin infections, which will get worse causing your pet misery, and need to be treated--usually with anti-inflammatory drugs, medicated baths and antibiotics. They will not get better on their own
- It is important to remember that all the spot-on products need skin oils to distribute.
- We are seeing good results in pets, allergic to fleas on monthly flea pills called Comfortis.
- We also stock a little Capstar. It is a pill safe for both dogs and cats offering very rapid flea kill- 30minutes. The advantage over the other oral medications, in my mind is that while being a systemic drug Capstar only stays in the body for one day. This means that if there were any side effects-they should be gone within a day, and we have not seen any. The disadvantage, of course, is that the pill has to be given daily which is inconvenient.
- Revolution is a topical product I tend to use for mite treatment in cats and dogs, more so than flea control. Yet, we have some clients reporting that Advantage or Frontline stopped working for their small pet, and yet Revolution does a good job.